Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Chapter Thirty-Six

Jacoby waited a few minutes for his words to sink in. Barry Jones was looking at him like he’d taken leave of his senses.

“You can’t seriously expect me to question Senator Stuart Jaffe based solely on some secondhand information from a guy who just strolled into your office.”

“No, I don’t expect you to question him – unless you decide to question him. I just thought you might want to take a look at whether Jaffe was associated with the deceased. It doesn’t look to me like you’ve got any other leads to follow-up.”

“Is there anything else, other than what this Mosby Ellis told you that ties Jaffe to the dead girl?”

“Nothing, except that the only other person who knew about the tattoos is dead now.”

“Sorry, Jacoby. It’s not enough. I’m not going to risk my career based on that.”

He wasn’t surprised at Jones’ response. He wasn’t convinced himself that Jaffe was involved but he had to talk to him and he couldn’t do that without talking to Jones first. Now he’d done that.

“I assume you have not objection to my talking to Jaffe myself.”

“I guess I underestimated you, Jacoby. No. No objection. In fact, maybe I can help you out. Jaffe is going to be at a fundraiser at the Tyson’s Ritz Carleton tomorrow night. Ironic, isn’t it?” Jones opened the top drawer of desk and took out an envelope. “I can’t make it. Maybe you’d like to attend.”

“You bet. Thanks. But I don’t understand. How come you were invited?”

“Jaffe might represent Oregon, but he lives in Fairfax County. Our friend the Senator has some habits that get him in trouble from time to time. Don’t get the wrong idea. Nothing major. He just drinks a little too much. Drives a little too fast.”

“And you guys look the other way?”

“Don’t make it sound like we’re accessories after the fact. Believe me, Jacoby. If you find out that Jaffe was involved with that girl, we will not look the other way.”

“Thanks for the invitation. If I turn up anything, you’ll be the first to know.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home